Diffing individual files error
  • The "diffing individual files" instructions are ambiguous. No matter how I interpret them, I can't cause it to pass (annoyingly, it gives no hints as to what's wrong). The ambiguities are:

"Take this sentence, and copy it underneath itself (remember the blank line!)."

When written like this, it's unclear whether it should be pasted as its own paragraph (with blank line in between) or directly after (in case the "remember the blank line!" reminder refers to the blank line at the end of the two lines.

"Move this sentence to at the start of the file, ensuring that it
    starts on the first line (remember about the blank lines!)."

This one is also ambiguous, as it's unclear whether you want the sentence to be pasted in as its own paragraph (so there's a blank line between it and "This mission is...") or whether the reminder is just to clean up the blank lines where you cut it from its original position so there's only one.

I see from the forums the instructions used to be different. You did remember to update the submission box, so that it doesn't expect the diffs of the old mission? I'm asking because no matter how I interpret the two ambiguities above, I can't seem to get it to work. (I think I have tried all the permutations by now).

Here is the diff of what I think is the most reasonable attempt, giving each copied line its own paragraph (so there are no single "\n" at proper end of lines.

--- diffsingle.txt Tue May 15 10:19:44 2012
    +++ diffsingle-modified.txt Tue May 15 10:42:32 2012
    @@ -1,3 +1,6 @@
    +Move this sentence to at the start of the file, ensuring that it
    +starts on the first line (remember about the blank lines!).
    +
    This mission is to have you make modifications to a file and submit a
    diff of them. The changes may seem a bit silly, but they will cause the
    diff to contain examples of different types of changes - additions,
    @@ -19,15 +22,11 @@

Read this sentence, and leave it alone.

-Nod your head enthusiastically, and then remove this paragraph
    -(being careful to keep just one blank line between the surrounding paragraphs).
    -
    Take this sentence, and copy it underneath itself (remember the blank line!).

-Move this sentence to at the start of the file, ensuring that it
    -starts on the first line (remember about the blank lines!).
    +Take this sentence, and copy it underneath itself (remember the blank line!).

-There is a typo in this sentence, which oyu should fix.
    +There is a typo in this sentence, which you should fix.

Finally, save your changes in your editor and make a unified diff
    of your changes with the diff command. (If you're not sure how,
  • I met the same problem. my diff is the same as you. did you figure it out?

Welcome to the OpenHatch forums!

OpenHatch is a community of people aiming to help newcomers find their way into free software projects. If you like talking about that, please join the conversation!

Sign in or register (ignoreme)