Technical difficulties with the tar training mission
  • elundste June 2014
    Hi I'm new here and don't have experience with contributing to open source software.

In the unpacking tarballs section of the tar training mission, I extracted the ghello-0.4.tar.gz file using 7-zip, but when I try to upload it, it says the file does not have the correct contents. I tried again using the unextracted file, but it still gives the same message. Also, the unpacking tarball command "tar xvzf ghello-0.4.tar.gz" doesn't work either. It gives the message:
    tar (child): ghello-0.4.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: child returned status 2
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
  • kdunne July 2014
    It looks like you are trying to unpack ghello-0.4.tar.gz while you are not in the correct directory. First you have to navigate in the terminal to the folder ghello-0.4.tar.gz was downloaded to.

To figure out what directory you are currently in, type

pwd (enter)

If you know exactly where the file is downloaded, you can get there by doing this:

cd ~ (enter)
    cd (path) (enter)

cd ~ gets you back to the home directory.
    For me this looked like this:

cd ~ (enter)
    cd C:/users/Katie/Programming/Python_Tutorials (enter)

After that type

ls (enter)

and see if ghello-0.4.tar.gz is listed. If so, you can unpack it using the tar command!

After that, the file you upload is

ghello.c

Hope that helps

• elundste July 2014
    Thanks! I was able to complete the tar mission because of your help.
  • dysch November 2014
    me too.

Welcome to the OpenHatch forums!

OpenHatch is a community of people aiming to help newcomers find their way into free software projects. If you like talking about that, please join the conversation!

Sign in or register (ignoreme)